The National Bomb Data Centre NBDC came into being, though in its nascent stages, in the year 1988. Back then, NBDC made a humble, in house, beginning of collating all bombing related incidents in the country and chronicled them in, now its eminently readable and popular yearly publication, Bombshell. The role of NBDC was later redefined in the year 2000, when it was assigned an important national role of monitoring, recording and analysing all bombing incidents in the country.
NBDC is one of its kind institution in the country, which not only monitors all bombing IED related incidents, within the country, but also records and analyses the salient ones across the world to draw out appropriate lessons in own context. This knowledge is then passed on to or shared with the relevant security agencies on as required basis.
NBDC has emerged into a hub for articulating any new ideas related to countering IEDs and EOD related matters. All national security agencies, invariably, fall back on NBDC for varied assistance and have healthy regards for its working culture.
Role and Tasks
ROLE OF NBDC
- Collect, collate, analyse and evaluate all terrorist bombing activities reported in India and abroad.
- Disseminate relevant information to concerned law enforcement agencies, as required.
- Remain abreast with the latest techniques in the field of terrorist bombings in India & abroad.
- Compile and disseminate periodic statistical data and analytical information on terrorist bombing activities.
- Carryout limited research and innovation in the field of bomb disposal.
- Research and develop concepts for dealing with terrorist bomb threat situations.
- Organization & conducting International NBDC seminars..
- Selective post blast investigations and analysis.
- Carry out trials of bomb disposal equipments for various agencies.
- Collection and analysis of IED and bombing incidents.
- Annual publications of bomb shell magazines.
- If any suspicious item is located procedure of buttressing, baffling, and venting to be carried out.
- If any suspicious item is found, mark it and inform the command centre.
- After completion of search, mark the area searched.
- Open all doors, windows remotely.
- Listen before entering.
- Evacuate the people to safe area.
- Stop the gas supply and electrification..
- With draw from the place quietly.
- Inform BD Unit, Police, and Ambulance.
- Maintain calm, Be composed..
- Wear film badges while taking X Ray.
- Observe distance and shielding.
- Clear the way of SF BD team to reach location.
- Use only Anti probes device when attending hand entry.
- When attending hand entry, take X Ray first.
- Take complete knowledge of the device.
- Explosive burn only range limits to low use.
- After burning, since gap of 30 mins to check burn pad.
- Minimum persons to be send for the checking of burn pad.
- Selection of magazine area always to be in open area and water facility to be nearby.
- In Booby traps, enter carefully and take caution in every step.
- In Booby traps search clear, drill always keep eyes and ears open.
- Use minimum persons to clear Booby traps.
- Always wear bomb suit when attending on suspected object.
- When transporting detonators and explosive carry them separately.
- Always take precautions while checking the device.
- From a safe distance look for IED indications while attempting to confirm the suspected IED i.e. look for tell tale signs of IED.
- Ensure you are constantly aware of the possibility of secondary devices.
- Inform the rest of your team by your call sign of the presence of the suspected item.
- Evacuate the area as a quickly as possible.
- Always have fewer men in the cordon area.
- Mark the suspicious item.
- Provide outward protection and security against command initiated IEDs.
- Refrain from touching any suspicious object.
- Do not assume that only one device is planted.
- Do not believe that it is harmless.
- Never try to shift suspicious object.
- Never puncture or try force entry.
- Refrain from spreading rumours.
- Avoid open doors, windows by hand.
- Never use lifts and elevators.
- Never operate electric mains, during check.
- Never be a dead Hero.
- Never submerge device in water.
- Never operate radio set near the object.
- Do not create panic.
- Do not stay in front of X Ray machine while taking X Ray.
- Refrain from spreading fear in public.
- Do not use any communication system near suspicious object.
- Minimize use of flash light over object directly..
- Do not take any metallic implement close to it.
- Do not construct magazine in populated area.
- Refrain from selecting place for magazine under high tension line.
- Without wearing Bomb suit, never approach suspected device.
- When transport in rail do not do loose shunting.
- Refrain from loading explosives and detonators in same compartment.
- Do not stop explosive train for more than five mints at any station.
- Never rush towards any suspicious object.
- Dont enter a building without through checking of perimeter.
- Dont use flash light over it directly.
- If you see any attractive item or article do not go straight for it. Search the surrounding first.
- Remember, an IED that is found is still an IED attack, by finding the IED, you have just disrupted the enemys attack.